Monday, March 29, 2010

You Do The Math...

Goliath was an imposing warrior. He stood over nine feet tall. His armor alone likely weighed more than most of his opponents. It would have been work for normal men to even carry his weapons – imagine trying to throw a spear whose tip alone weighed 15 pounds! These are just a few of the reasons why Goliath was undefeated in combat. In fact, the rest of the Philistine army was so confident in his fighting abilities that they were willing to pin all of their hopes on him. Do you recall his boastful taunting of the Israelite army? “Why are you all coming out to fight?” he called. “I am the Philistine champion, but you are only the servants of Saul. Choose one man to come down here and fight me! If he kills me, then we will be your slaves. But if I kill him, you will be our slaves! I defy the armies of Israel today! Send me a man who will fight me!” (1 Samuel 17:8-10, NLT).

Perhaps it was this over-confident view of himself and his abilities that caused Goliath to become so incensed when a young shepherd came to engage him in battle. To his way of thinking, this was the ultimate sign of disrespect. “Goliath walked out toward David with his shield bearer ahead of him, sneering in contempt at this ruddy-faced boy. ‘Am I a dog,’ he roared at David, ‘that you come at me with a stick?’ And he cursed David by the names of his gods” (1 Samuel 17:41-43, NLT). He then boastfully predicts a swift and bloody demise for the presumptuous lad who dared to challenge his supremacy. ‘Come over here, and I’ll give your flesh to the birds and wild animals!’ Goliath yelled (1 Samuel 17:44, NLT). But the story doesn’t end as Goliath predicts. By the end of the day, the boastful giant lay dead at the feet of youthful shepherd.

Goliath boasted in his own abilities. David boasted in the abilities of God (1 Samuel 17:45-47). You do the math…

God loves you!
Mike

1 comment:

Mom to Anyone said...

Great article - again.