Monday, September 14, 2009

A Prisoner Of The Body

Rachel Todd was a normal teenager with grand plans for her future. But that changed a few months ago. A rare medical condition has caused the 18-year-old to become what some are describing as “a prisoner in her own body.” Here is one account of Rachel’s story: “The British teenager suffered a stroke last December, which left her paralyzed from head-to-toe. She can hear and think, but can only communicate by blinking and rolling her eyes. The condition, known as locked-in syndrome, has been described by doctors as "the closest thing to being buried alive”…The condition is a rare neurological disorder characterized by complete paralysis of voluntary muscles in all parts of the body except for those that control eye movement, the National Institute of Neurological Disorder said on its Web site. There is no cure for locked-in syndrome or a standard course of treatment” (www.foxnews.com, 9-8-09).

It seems that the apostle Paul suffered from a spiritual strain of this same illness. As he writes to Christians in Rome, he speaks of an intense battle with his own body. Listen to his words: “I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death” (Romans 7:21-24)?

While there is no known cure for Rachel’s physical condition, Paul goes on to tell us that there is hope in the spiritual battle with the flesh. “Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death” (Romans 8:1-2). Praise God that we no longer have to be prisoners of our own body!

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: