Monday, April 6, 2009

I Am Barabbas

Very little is recorded in Scripture about Barabbas and what we do read is not complimentary. In summary, all that we know about him is that he was a notorious prisoner being held for insurrection, robbery, and murder. He becomes a pawn in the power struggle between Pilate and the leaders of the Jews over the fate of Jesus. Pilate, convinced of the innocence of Jesus, offers the crowd a choice between releasing Jesus or Barabbas from custody. Perhaps this was a ploy to shock some sensibility into the mob who was seeking to condemn and crucify an innocent man. After all who in their right mind would seek to free Barabbas instead of Jesus? But the Jews weren’t thinking clearly that day. They demanded freedom for a notorious criminal over the innocent rabbi from Nazareth. One minute, Barabbas is rotting away in a Roman jail, likely awaiting his own execution. The next minute, he is released and walking away as a free man.

Have you ever wondered what happened to Barabbas following his release? Knowing human nature as we do, there is a good chance that he returned to the infamous lifestyle for which he was known. Old habits are certainly hard to break. But there is another possibility. Perhaps Barabbas took some time to reflect on his near-death brush with the wheels of justice. Maybe later he learned something of the innocent man who took his place on the cross. And, possibly, his life took a turn for the better. Who knows? I realize that the chances are slim, but I wonder…

In reality, I am not that different from Barabbas. Sure, our crimes are different, but the result is the same – I was a condemned man. I was facing my own death sentence. I deserved my punishment. But an innocent Man took my place and I gained my freedom. I don’t know how Barabbas responded to his freedom, but gratitude for that gift prompts me to live a life that brings honor and glory to my Redeemer.

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: