Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rooster for free



A couple of months ago we acquired a rooster off of freecycle. He was "sooooooooo cute" (one of the twins's favorite sayings). Anyway I think I blogged about him being henpecked. We got to see that in action daily. Well he's bigger than the hens now and he's not going to take it anymore! He has become very aggressive to one particular hen (Moss- a buff orphington) and had pecked one side of her head to a bloody mess. We isolated her from him and he began picking at another hen (Meadow). Oddly it was our other buff orphington. Now we are separating TWO hens from him. I'm sure it is only a matter of time until he chooses a new target. So for the last couple of weeks I've been trying to convince the twins that maybe it is time for Roosty to find a new home. After a few tears they have both finally consented. The suggestion for rooster soup did not go over well. Then one of them suggested that he be "released into the wild". NOT fine with the other one, who said "something will EAT him". So we are waiting for someone to respond to emails I've sent out to give him a new home, hopefully with a dominant rooster. He has served his purpose of introducing the twins to reproduction and we really hoped to raise some chicks but he's crossed the line with me and has to go. So, any takers?????

3 comments:

Jason Harris said...

I'll eat him! hehehe...

Sorry about your rooster. I'm sure he'll find a good home.

Jason

Haley said...

I'm sure you could always take him down to Old Fair Oaks and let him roam free with all the other wild chickens and roosters!

Haley said...

Haha, now if I see a rooster like that I'll wonder if it's him!! Glad that worked out; I was mostly joking because I didn't think you'd actually do it, but I'm glad he's got a new home and lots of freedom now! Plenty of space so he doesn't have to pick on anyone