Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Regardless

“But after two years had passed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus, and wishing to do the Jews a favor, Felix left Paul imprisoned” (Acts 24:27).

This is one of those verses that are easy to pass by quickly without pausing to consider the implications. Paul’s current problem began all the way back in Acts 21. It all started with false accusations about preaching against the Law and desecrating the temple of God. A riotous crowd begins to beat Paul and he is rescued by Roman forces. One thing leads to another and eventually he is transferred to appear before the Roman governor Felix in Caesarea. There are precious few time markers in the text, but the ones we do see lead me to guess that all of these events have perhaps taken a few weeks. Paul once again makes his defense and, once again, a decision is deferred. Paul remains under arrest. In fact, as the verse above states, the missionary to the Gentiles remained imprisoned for two more years.

I have to imagine that all this must have been very frustrating for the apostle. After all, didn’t God want him to share the gospel among the Gentiles?  Of course He did.  Didn’t God have the power to miraculously free him from custody? Of course He did.  He did it for Peter, remember?  Yes (Acts 12:6-8). Why doesn’t God step in? There are people that need to hear the gospel. There is preaching to be done.  Why God? Perhaps Paul was thinking none of these things. But I know I likely would have.

The fact is that the Sovereign God of the universe does things His own way and on His own time table and I need to be okay with that. I am called to be faithful whether things are working out the way I like or not. If something is taking longer than I think it should means that God has a reason even if I don’t understand it. Father, help me to trust You regardless.


God loves you!

Mike

No comments: